Friday, July 13, 2007

bugs and snails and puppydog tails

Today at work we held a big sports day for the kids at our summer day camps. I ran the 100m sprint event, which was nice and straightforward.

The highlight of my day has to be this one kid who was completely fascinated with a bug on his hand, to the point of being oblivious to anything else. He stared at the bug while I was explaining how the heats would go. I had to call him up to the start line three times when it was his heat. The only time he broke eye contact with the bug was during my "on your marks, get set, go!" when he glanced up to see where he was going. He kept his head up for the first few steps, and then got worried that he'd drop the bug. He lightly jogged the rest of the race, eyes glued to that bug in his hands. Even when his group walked back to the start line to grab their stuff after the race, this kid still trailed behind with his bug. How cute!

No comments: