Tuesday, January 09, 2007

an epic tale of beast-wrestling

I saw a guy in full joging regalia, jogging down the street with a big jug of fabric softener in one hand and a big bottle of dish soap in the other.

I saw a firetruck getting a checkup. Did you know that the whole cab (like the seats and the floor and the dashboard and such) lean forward to expose the engine underneath?

I saw a girl walking down the street who looked like a sketch from a sewing pattern envelope, with the long legs and the crisp plaid jacket and all.

I went shopping for produce at one of the small grocers up the street. I bought an onion, a thing of garlic, a green pepper, a head of broccoli, a stick of celery, two carrots, and a bag of mini-potatoes. The bill was $3.22. I love buying produce from those guys!

And now for the epic tale of beast-wrestling:

The dog at work had a major spazz because of the windstorm that was going on. Wind makes her nervous. I figure she has an even greater hearing range with which to detect creepy howling and whistling noises that the wind makes. To cope with this hatred of wind, she keeps trying to escape outdoors (I know, it makes so much sense). Since people are constantly walking in and out of the front door, we had to shut her in our office so she wouldn't escape.

Once inside our office, she did not decide to hide under her owner's desk. No, she decided that my desk was the place to be. So she paced around by my elbows, tried to shove herself between me and my desk, drooled profusely on my socks, and headbutted me. We're talking about a German Shepherd and Black Lab mix here, so this is no small nuisance. Then, once the power went out and I had to give up my computer work, I did some filing. Finally, the dog was content to stand beneath my open filing drawer (and drool on my socks some more).

I didn't mention that this whole time, I kept having to leave and re-enter the office, which involved muscling the frantic dog away from the exit every time. My knee was wet from all the dog-snot and dog-slobber that had soaked through my cords after repeated headbutts. At one point I actually had to pin her head against the wall with my thigh in order to let someone else in the office.

Anyway, it was nuts, and that was my day.

2 comments:

Steph said...

:) That sounds crazy man time. Or, I guess, crazy dog time.

annemarie said...

i like your stories.