Sunday, July 02, 2006

training woes

Well, it's been a week since I last posted, and it's been a rather dreary week. Not so much in terms of weather--that has been gloriously hot and sunny! I've been working and training (for my shift supervisor promotion) for 7 out of the past 8 days...my "long weekend" consisted of Sunday only. This week I'm working three opening shifts, so I have to be at work for 5:30 am, which is a vile and disgusting time to be working. I could understand if someone voluntarily woke up at that time and puttered around in their garden or took their dog for a walk, but being at work at that time is just depressing. I'm a terrible morning person, and messing with my sleep schedule like that just makes me weary and emotionally volatile, and just plain crabby.

The other thing that makes training difficult is that I'm often shadowing this other shift supervisor whose work style drives me up the wall. She's basically a slightly paranoid, uptight micro-manager. She's the kind of person who tells you to do something half a second before you were going to do it anyway. I've worked with her before, and usually I just do things my way whether it drives her nuts or not. But now I'm learning how to do her job, so she's actually supposed to be telling me how to do things all the time, and boy is she good at it! Arrrgh! The only thing that makes our working together even possible in the slightest is that we're both generally nice people and can be mature about our differences. I understand that she's trying to be helpful, and I think she understands that I'm more independant than a simple yes-woman. If either of us had the slightest inclination to be bitchy, things would have exploded long ago.

I did however see a fuzzy man on Saturday. He was short and dark (not sure if he was tanned or from India) and bald and had fuzzy white hair sticking out around his head, and his beard was long and wispy and tapered into a point. He looked like a retired south Asian leprechaun. The fuzzy man made my day.

Yesterday I re-discovered that I have made some friends in Vancouver since moving here in September. I ran into a friend from work (who no longer works with me) in the mall and had a friendly chat. Also, two of my Ultimate Frisbee teammates were very friendly and we had some good laughs.

But it's still hard to be my usual chipper self when I know I have to wake up at 4:20 tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Elliot said...

Retired south Asian leprechaun = HUHLARIOUS!

Dr. K. Fehr said...

The other day I saw a midget dressed like an eight-year old (yellow t-shirt/pyjamas bottems) riding a bicycle in the North End. I later saw the same guy downtown still riding his little bike. I thought it was great.