Friday, March 31, 2006

Theology in action! (Pow, Biff & Zok)

Once, I was casually chatting online with a Christian acquaintance of mine, and I told her I was studying theology. Her response was, "My sister has a book about that [theology]...but I'm not really interested, it's too hard for me." That day the cosmos resounded with my anguished cry of "AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!" (Yes, Amp, I was feeling crazy...crazy frustrated!)

Theology means the study/knowledge of God. If you are a Christian (or pretty much any sort of theist), then THEOLOGY IS FOR YOU. It is your business to learn about God, so get on it already! You don't need a Bachelor of Theology like I have, but you have to be interested in learning about God! If you've got the Holy Spirit living with you, if you're a part of the body of Christ, then you are qualified to study, ask questions, and learn about God. Studying theology academically is cool too (I love it!), but that's only one way of learning about God.

For an example of theology in action, check out the discussion on the Real Live Preacher site. (Thank you Elliot for pointing it out in your comment on my help my unbelief post a few days back.) I like what one person wrote there:

"The Bible, lifted to the level of inerrancy, is a comforting thing. Heck, what do we need God for if we already have the rulebook written out for us? Why do we need prayer? If it's as clear as you seem to think, why do we need theologians or clergy or teachers or scholars to talk about it? Why does it need interpretation? Oh, and is the Bible more perfect in English? In Greek? In Hebrew? And how, as an English-speaking woman from the 20th-21st centuries, am I ever to get to the most perfect translation?"

Honestly, I am more comfortable with this kind of "theology in action" than I am with anything I read in a book during my B.Th. degree program. This is the people of God wrestling with questions of how to be faithful! This is exciting, and it matters! The Spirit is moving! Thanks be to God!

This is why I'm okay with not having The Answer on homosexuality. I am still satisfied to cry "Lord, I believe! Help my unbelief!" I'm simply not comfortable with having all the answers. I cannot master God.

...

Wow, I feel like a preacher...see, this is why I need a church job! *sigh*

1 comment:

Elliot said...

I like it! Overly-abstract theology bugs me.

Oh and Melissa says "Yay Diedre!"