Thursday, March 30, 2006

blue yellow (8-legged) orange white

Okay, so after I posted my crabby post, I consoled myself by breaking out my brand new toothbrush. Buying fancy toohbrushes is one of the pleasures I have always permitted myself, and I was saving this one for a special occasion. So, I threw out my fuzzy old one (it had rubber gum massagers on the side) and I used my brand new toothbrush with criss-cross bristles and yellow and blue racing stripes. I firmly believe that the racing stripes on the handle will contribute to my daily battle against plaque, tooth decay, and gingivitis.

In other news, I have a list of nifty things I've seen and smelled lately:

On Sunday when I was sitting in emergency with poor puking Aaron, I saw a little spider. It was amusing itself by industriously letting itself down a strand of silk attached to the corner of the counter in Aaron's cubicle, and then climbing back up again. I thought about killing it, because I'm not a huge fan of bugs, and it was awfully close to Aaron's head. However, I was in need of a friend right then so I let it be. When the nurse came in, I silently willed her not to see the spider, and she didn't. I did whisper to Aaron that I had a new friend, but he was asleep and/or delirious, so I'm not sure he ever knew about the other inhabitant of his cubicle.

On the bus today there was a Sikh man with a turban and a moustache that was waxed into fancy curls. It reminded me a bit of that Princess movie with the orphanage and the Indian man through the window. That movie is one of the things that made me love the colour orange, even though I think I only caught the last half hour of it on TV once.

I walked over to my inlaws' place the other day, and I noticed that it is now officially that part of the year where Vancouver becomes Lotusland. That means that it now permanently smells like flowers outdoors, and it will until late in the fall. Today I was most delighted to find that the smells of daffodils (which I also love, because it somehow reminds me of Germany) was being replaced by one of my favourite flower smells ever. I don't know what the name of it is, but they are little white flowers with messy-looking yellow bits in the middle, and they grow on bushes. They smell so sweet! Possibly the only better flower smell is lilacs. Especially now that I will forever associate them with the day Aaron asked me to marry him. Perhaps I'll tell that story another time.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Jan and I talked it over, and it's agreed. You are very very cute.