Sunday, July 15, 2007

reflections of a church bulletin doodler

Today in church I succumbed to the age-old temptation of all church doodlers: I coloured in all the O's on the bulletin (and also the zeroes). Instinctively, I tried to be very precise by colouring 100% of the area inside the O's, and 0% of the area outside of the O's.

Then I caught myself and thought some hippie thoughts along the lines of, "God is a creative and vibrant God! Why should we be limited by the institution of type? We should all be colouring outside the lines and across the lines; we should be thinking outside the box!"

Then I caught myself again and thought, "Nonsense! God created the universe to be quantized at the most minute levels! Empty O, full O, there need not be anything in between, for God's building blocks of the universe are beautiful!"

I continued to colour in the O's, a little less precisely than before, but still generally aiming for inside-the-lines perfection. I'll bet God loves both the organic mess and the quantum precision in the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I drew something wispy and scribbly on the blank side of some fluorescent green insert. Maybe I should start looking into string-theory or something...

Elliot said...

I like the way you think, lady!