Tuesday, March 27, 2007

flaming canine newfies on swings. trick-or-treat!

Monday morning I woke up early to the unpleasant aroma of burning plastic. After much sniffing and searching, it was determined that the source was my computer. So, it's now on the fritz. It's hard to tell exactly what's wrong with it, because all of it has worked at some point since the burning plastic incident, but never all at once (or at least not for very long). At this point we're thinking that it may or may not be the monitor, which doesn't really make much sense, but if it's not the monitor then we have no idea what the heck is wrong. Anyway, my lack of computer might affect my posting, and it might not. We'll see.

Here's some stuff I've seen/heard lately:

I saw a cop and her dog standing on the street and chatting to another cop who was sitting in his car with the passenger window all the way open. The dog was apparently happy and excited to see the cop in the car, so after turning a few circles, it jumped right through the window and into the passenger seat. Both cops laughed a lot.

I heard a killer Newfie accent. This person never, EVER pronounced the 'g' at the end of an '-ing' word, it was always '-in'. Actually, this was my first aid instructor from the weekend, so I had to listen to her talk a LOT. We did the unit on chokin, and then on severe bleedin, and don't forget the unit on bandagin and splintin.

On Monday, I had to do my time at one of the kids' programs from work. I got the easiest job ever! When we went to the playground, only two girls wanted to stay in the upper part and all the other kids wanted to go to the lower part. So, I got to stay with the two girls, who are some of the sweetest and best-behaved kids there are. Not only that, but they said I wasn't allowed to listen to their conversation, so I had to go over and swing on that swing by myself. So, I got to swing for about half an hour by myself with no kids bugging me at all! These two girls stayed within my line of sight the entire time, so I never had to get off the swing.

Those girls were funny, too! They were making incredibly detailed plans for Halloween (yes, 7 months early, and at age 8 that is not a short time). One was going to dress up as Pippi Longstocking, and the other was going to be Dead Pippi Longstocking. Hey, it's Halloween, so at least one of them had to be creepy in some way. They decided at whose house they were going to meet (after dressing up, but before putting on their makeup). They even spent about 10 minutes deciding precisely how they were going to say "trick-or-treat" and what face they were going to make and how Dead Pippi Longstocking was going to grab the candy in a ghoulish kind of way, and then they rehearsed the whole thing to make sure they had it down perfectly.

No comments: