Monday, December 11, 2006

good impressions

Today was another day filled with feelings of success!

First of all, I got tons of work done on my Christmas mailing at work, even though it meant postponing lunch until 3pm.

The other big thing I did at work today was hold job interviews for my teens who are applying to be Team Leaders. Team Leaders are basically supervisors of their peers, so they'll keep track of attendance and help delegate tasks and be good role models. Anyway, the interviews put me in a good mood because I basically get to chat with some of the best kids I've got and see how great they are.

Some of these kids have mad interviewing skills! When asked why they are applying, they say things like, "I see it as a great opportunity to develop my leadership skills," or, "I feel I'm ready to take on more responsibility."

It's also interesting to see which kids look good on paper. I basically know all of them and feel I could make good hiring decisions without any resumes or interviews, but the process is good practice for them and also gives everyone a fair chance to prove themselves. Interestingly enough, one of the girls I would hire in an instant used really informal teen-language and didn't spellcheck or use capitals. Another girl who is kind of young (and frankly too immature for me to actually hire) definitely looked the best on paper, her application package was neat and well-worded.

It was a day of being impressed.

1 comment:

annemarie said...

kinda strange how resumes can be just as misleading as they are helpful.