Friday, October 27, 2006

comment extravaganza!

In the last seven posts (two weeks), I have received a grand total of two comments, both from Elliot. (Thanks Elliot!) This makes me feel sad and unloved, or even *gasp* wonder if people find me boring. However, I am not one to issue a plea for comments and leave it at that. I like to provide a reason, a question, an incentive or a discussion starter...anything to prove that I am not boring!

So I would like to ask you, what is the human obsession with the weather all about? It is the classic conversational haven of uncomfortable party guests. It is one of the first thing my mother will ask about when she calls from Toronto (admittedly, I also express genuine curiosity in the meteorological happenings "back East", as the Vancouverites like to say). Is it perhaps a way of reminding ourselves that there is somthing greater than us, something that affects our lives over which we have no control? Or is it the remnant of a more outdoors-y way of life, where the weather had a serious impact on our livelihoods?

In other news, a pair of Aussies pose the question: What have we learned from history? (Thanks be to Elliot.)

7 comments:

Elliot said...

"Thanks be to Elliot."

Amen!

I think we talk about the weather because it affects everyone equally. If you're talking to a total stranger at the bus stop, you know that you have the weather in common with them.

But your reasons make sense too.

I don't think you're boring. I comment because 1) I know you like to get comments, 2) I like to get comments, 3) you're interesting!

When I don't comment it's because I don't have anything relevant to say.

Unknown said...

Hey Diedre, Great question! and no we do NOT think you are boring!!!!

Alright, the weather:

For me, one of the first things I talk to my dad about (no matter what's going on in school and life) is the weather. Partly because it sets the stage in my mind about what is going on where he is, and partly because I NEED to remember what it is like to have weather be a major determiing factor in life. In the city, I can get away with wearing all sorts of wonderfully fantastic clothes (especially footwear) that I would never get away with on the Island in case of rain or snow or boat failure in the middle of the lake.
I weigh in heavily then on the throwback, or better, the longing for the old ways. For the respect and the light tread we once held as normative for our home the Earth. Complaining about Winnipeg winters is our basterdly recall of a royal heritage.

Laura said...

I love you and you are never boring. I just don't have anything to say, relevant or otherwise. But I have your prayer card thingy up on my bulletin board beside Steph Posh's. So you're special.

Also, I don't get comments much either. Hopefully this means I'm not too boring?

annemarie said...

sorry. i haven't commented cause i was gone for two weeks.

up here, at this time of year, we check the weather out of fear. (actually, you'd be surprised at how much of the year we can genuinely fear the weather reports). "is it going to snow? freeze? sleet?"

it's snowing outside right now.

weather is great because everyone can complain together. it brings people together in a sense of false intimacy. i do it at work all the time.

Jan said...

Those who don't get comments (which is all of us at one time or another) need to do like me and install a little counter thingy so that you can reassure yourself that people are checking your blog. It's very nice.

On the topic of weather- it is a common experience and non-controversial topic that all can discuss no matter where they are. It just makes sense to talk about it. So many aspects of our life are effected by something we can't control - the weather.

Diedre said...

Oh dear. I thought the whole point of my post was to avoid a pity party and then to offer something comment-worthy.

Thank you for your condolences, they are nevertheless appreciated, and I assure you I was not fishing for them.

Speaking of the weather, today it was prairie-windy in Vancouver! I've decided that I like prairie weather best because it's challenging, it doesn't just provide a dull backdrop on the stage of life.

Paul said...

Word. Prairie weather is REAL weather.