Tuesday, September 05, 2006

yay job

Here comes a tale of why I am liking my new job. I woke up this morning at 7:25 and thought "Mmm...5 more minutes of sweet, sweet sleep..." and then I woke up at 9:10 and said "WHY IS IT NINE???" I had pulled the old am/pm switcheroo and thereby made Aaron late for his first day of school. As for me, it was no biggie, I'm on a salary and can guesstimate my hours as I please. So I rolled into work at 10am and checked some e-mails.

At 10:30 I went grocery shopping with two co-workers for our weekend retreat. When we got back, Nellie and I hung out in the kitchen and prepared the marinade for a chicken dinner. I decided to use the meat tenderiser on the garlic cloves, and it worked smashingly. If you have a meat tenderizer, you need never mince your garlic again! I attended a half-hour training session on preparing budget reports, which I found kind of interesting because I'm a geek. For the rest of the day I did more e-mailing, filing and phone calling, which actually made me progessively more cheerful because things were getting done and everything was seeming less crazy.

I like it that I can experiment with meat tenderizers at my new job. Plus, I got to wear my baggy jeans and an ancient t-shirt to work today. I've also figured out that one of the biggest things I like about my new workplace that nothing seems unnecessary. There aren't any protocols or busy work or rules that seem useless or stupid or silly. Even almighty Tradition (the bane of many ministries) is maintained in the best way possible: if it's genuinely good, keep it; if you'd rather do it differently for any good reason, then chuck it.

It's funny, it's not as if I'm over-the-top ecstatic about this job, it's just that I've finally found a job that makes simple sense, so I'm actually satisfied for a change.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Wow. I can so relate to that staring at the clock in disbelief and willing it to be wrong.

Anonymous said...

I get to go for coffee with your dad tomorrow.

I am in Toronto. AAH. this is so weird.

Elliot said...

Hurray for Diedre!