Friday, September 15, 2006

junkmail soaps

I've been getting some funny junkmail at my work e-mail address. About once a day I get a message from someone whose name I don't recognise, and since I'm new and don't know who all of my contacts are yet, I open it just to make sure. The first bit is always something about a hot stock to buy: "Watch it trade on Thursday! It's going up!" The second half of the e-mail is some sort of unrelated and scattered soap opera narrative that always makes me laugh. For your entertainment, I have copied and pasted an excerpt:

She never took upwith David Kirk until she heard Hilary was engaged. The dance of sunbeams in the brook shallows was justas it had been so many years ago. What was it David had read to herfrom a poem the night before he went away? I cant bear tothink of you here, in tears, after Im gone. Lets have supper in the orchard to-night, Judy. He and Pat were, as Patfrequently told herself, very happy in their engagement. Im NOT going to look up at Brook when Im uttering thefinal vow. It doesnt do to meddle, she reflected sagely. It meant a marriage at threedays notice, but what of that?

3 comments:

Elliot said...

Must be lines ripped from Harlequin romances...

Anonymous said...

You know what's weird? The lines aren't from the books, but all the character names are from this pair of L.M. Montgomery books... Pat of Silver Moon, and Mistress Pat.... how odd

Jan said...

I think they use as many names as possible hoping one will be yours or someone you know.
It's like Word Soup!