Thursday, July 20, 2006

wish me luck

Well, I've embarked on a new adventure. After reading Elliot's post about Christian death metal, I started lazily following links here and there until I found myself presented with the opportunity to become part of a fundamentalist Christian discussion forum and online community. So I applied, and although the moderator may have had her doubts about me (remember when fundamentalism was dead last on my "What kind of Christian are you" quiz?), she let me in. My goal is not to slam my brothers and sisters in Christ over in the fundamentalist wing of God's house, but rather to learn from them. I pray that I can remain humble and open to learning, and yet not hide who I am or what I believe in order to not be kicked from the forum.

My first few days as part of the forum have been interesting. I have read much that either makes my stomach churn or that I just plain don't give a rat's ass about. (Who gives a crap whether or not they find archaeolocial evidence that Noah's ark existed?) I have also taken the interesting step of linking my profile over there to this blog over here. Maybe they'll find out that I swear, or that I have difficulty figuring out what God's will is when it comes to homosexuality. (*Gasp* and now I've put that in my topmost post so that the fundamentalists can find my deviance even sooner!) Anyway, I guess I'm curious to see if they'll just punt me out of the forum with a good whack of the Word, or if they'll actually stop and listen to what I have to say. I'm trying to stop and listen to what they have to say, otherwise I wouldn't spend a millisecond of my time on that forum.

I'm not going to start censoring myself here, so if the discussion board members pop by, maybe they can see a little bit more of who I am. I most certainly do censor myself on that forum because I don't want to be any more controversial than I already am. They're trying to build an online Christian community, for Pete's sake, and that's a good thing that I don't want to wreck for the sake of a deliciously heated debate.

Anyway, if you're curious, the host website/blog is here, but the actual forum itself is only viewable by discussion board members.

No comments: