Saturday, June 10, 2006

I patted a slug!

Last night I got a serious case of cabin fever and needed to get OUT of the house. I went for a walk, and here's what I saw:

Inside someone's living room they had a long trailing plant growing along their ceiling, just like I used to have in various CMU rez apartments.

I found a boulevard "water garden," which I think means that the plants there don't need to be watered but can handle themselves and still be pretty. I sat beside this garden and touched the plants. I like the way they feel. Then a man came and parked his car next to me, but he didn't know I was there, and when he got out and noticed me he apologised for disturbing my quiet. He totally got why I was there! I was afraid he might think I was waiting for a drug deal or something. I like that man.

I saw a star.

I walked past the place where a house died and now there was only a big grave of a hole that is going to become the foundation for a new home that someone will be happy living in.

I saw the full moon and some more stars.

I saw a bush that looked like it had a face.

I saw a big banana slug crossing the sidewalk, and it really did look like a banana! It was yellow with brown spots. I poked at its feelers and saw them disappear, and then I just held my finger in front of it to see what would happen. The slug came and licked my finger! It felt just like a cat's tongue, but smaller. Then I patted the slug, but I don't think it liked it, so I stopped. I just wanted to let it know that it was beautiful.

While I was hanging out with the slug on the sidewalk, I noticed that there were many glistening earthworms in the grass.

The thing I liked most about this walk (besides the beautiful slug) was how I wasn't really looking for any of these things. I just kept walking, and it was like the things I saw tapped me on the shoulder or said "Look at me! Look at me!" I like the world. I felt much refreshed, and was happy to go home once again.

No comments: