Tuesday, April 18, 2006

the miscellany of yesterday and today

Yesterday was a good day. I felt like I got much accomplished! I did the laundry. I phoned my brother. I went to work. I ironed and cut out the pieces for my new sewing project (I'm making slouchy jeans, using my dead old orange cords as a pattern). I made dinner. Plus, I successfully organised a group of people to accomplish a bunch of stuff in that oh-so-addictive computer game World of Warcraft. (For anyone who cares/understands, I dinged 44 and got two 14-slot bags and a nice blue mace.)

Worst part of yesterday: finding out that without asking me, it was decided that I am now working THREE weeks in the mall instead of two. I raised a bit of heck about that, so we'll see if they can change it back to two or not. Oh well. I met the mall people, and they're all quite friendly and welcoming, so that is pleasant.

Today is also a good day. There is a tree outside my window that apparently flowers in the spring! I only moved here last fall, and I thought it was a tree with just leaves. I think maybe God designed this tree for people to lie under and look up. I think so because all the flowers face down and maybe a bit sideways, but none of them face up.

As for working in the mall today, I'm still not insane, so that's nice. I worked with a bossy and mildly abrasive Filipino woman, and it actually made me feel right at home! I'm so used to everyone here in Vancouver being white, Asian or Indian, but at one of my old jobs at home in Toronto I worked with a bunch of Filipino people. I think it's really funny when people actually fit stereotypes, like when a Filipino woman is bossy. I also think family resemblances are hilarious, but that's another story.

Worst part of today: stapling my finger. I'm pretty sure I haven't done that since I was five years old.

4 comments:

Elliot said...

" successfully organised a group of people to accomplish a bunch of stuff in that oh-so-addictive computer game World of Warcraft. (For anyone who cares/understands, I dinged 44 and got two 14-slot bags and a nice blue mace."

ROFLMAO!!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

And you accuse ME of being geeky?!? That last sentence just gave you the all-time gold medal! ;-)

Diedre said...

Did I mention that my pretty blue mace gives me a 2% increased chance to crit?

I know, I'm hooked. Stupid geek husband and his stupid geek friend Robi (I know you read this). I blame it all on you!!!

Remember, Elliot, the reason I know you is because I voluntarily joined your sci-fi/fantasy book club! If that doesn't spell geek...

Elliot said...

True! I'm glad you're a geek, otherwise I wouldn't've met you or your geek husband Aaron!

RPG dialects are all fairly similar. I'm guessing 'crit' is a critical hit or critical damage?

The only reason I haven't signed up for Warcraft Online is that I would become immediately addicted and it would be a seriously sinful waste of my time and energy.

Diedre said...

Yeah, it certainly can be a black hole into which your spare time disappears...I always have to be careful to rotate what my current black holes are. They can include reading, sewing, blogging, Warcraft, and various other computer games from time to time. Each of these things is fun, but one shouldn't get stuck on any one of them.