Tuesday, March 20, 2007

midnight epiphany

Okay, prepare yourselves, this is going to be a really random story.

Two years ago, I lived in Toronto for the 4 summer months, and I took bellydancing lessons. In my bellydancing class, there were two women, Angela and Maureen, who were identical twin sisters. The whole summer, it always felt like they reminded me of someone, or they were familiar to me in some way.

Fast forward a bit: I woke up around 5 last night and couldn't sleep. I spent the next hour or more in that really frustrating one-quarter-asleep and three-quarters-awake state where you're desperately trying to hold on to that sleep and not wake up all the way. Anyway, during this strange state of mind, it suddenly occurred to me who Angela and Maureen reminded me of: the twins Heather and Erica Farrell from Degrassi High (that blessed TV series that kept me entertained after school for so many years).

So, with that mystery solved, you'd think I could go back to sleep. But no, I had to think about it even further. Degrassi was filmed in Toronto. Many of the actors were just local kids who stayed in Toronto and led normal lives and never filmed anything again. Maybe Maureen and Angela didn't just remind me of the Degrassi twins, maybe they actually were the twins! They would be about the right age...

So this morning at work, I googled it all, and voila! They were in fact the very same actors! I TOOK BELLYDANCING LESSONS WITH THE DEGRASSI TWINS FOR 4 MONTHS AND NEVER REALIZED IT UNTIL TWO YEARS LATER. SO COOL!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is so cool! I miss that class, and those two were two of my favourite people!

Diedre said...

I know! They were so friendly and helpful. The cool thing is that their on-screen characters were some of my favourites as well, I always liked those twins.

Jan said...

That. Is. So. Cool.