Friday, March 16, 2007

even more oldtimers

Work this week has once again been somewhat overwhelming in terms of time and scheduling, which has made this blog suffer. To take revenge, I am writing this blog post while I'm at work. Thankfully, work has not actually been stressful or intimidating this week. I think it has something to do with me praying more/better/or soemthing. However that all works, I am grateful.

Two things about old people:

On Monday, there were two little old Chinese ladies and two little old Chinese men waiting at my bus stop. They were chattering and guesturing and joking and laughing like a gaggle of teenagers. It made me happy.

Today, I was once again reminded of the fact that I hate the sense of entitlement some old people have when it comes to getting on the bus. I am sick and tired of being elbowed out of the way as some little old lady or man decides to screw the whole bunch of people who are lined up and just get on the bus first no matter what the cost in manners or dignity.

Now a story about what I did yesterday:

I went to the NHL oldtimers game! This is where they put together a team of retired NHLers and pit them against a current community team. In this case, it was the Vancouver Police Department hockey team. Despite the fact that all of the NHLers were either entirely grey or even potbellied, they absolutely cleaned up. I think they scored 15 goals, and I think the VPD scored 5.

The thing that was so refreshing about this hockey game was how absolutely unpretentious it was! For you CMU-types, this game kind of resembled the Z-team game with its antics and tomfoolery. There was a clown referee, there was a trick puck that changed direction of its own volition in the middle of a penalty shot, at one point one of the players had "rocket skates" that had little spark-throwing fireworks attached, and the scorekeeper was constantly fudging the VPD score so it wasn't too embarrassing (I think the scoreboard read 15-13 at the end). The best part was when they opened up the zamboni gates and let in a herd of 5-year-old hockey players whose jerseys came down to their skates. So, they played 5 minutes of NHL vs. the Timbit team, which was ridiculously cute. It was a great night of down-to-earth, utterly foolish, and completely good-natured community fun.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That hockey game sounds amazing!! I would have loved to see it!!! ~ Liz

Unknown said...

I feel quite happy inside right now!