Saturday, December 02, 2006

hair stick

Today I am enjoying my hairdo. It is my favourite hairdo, and I've been doing it quite regularly for maybe 2 years now. I use a chopstick and twist my hair around it, and then stab it back into the hair twist, and it stays. (Judi, I use the chopsticks you gave me. The Sonya-like ones that kind of look like twigs at the end.)

Here's what I like about this hairdo:

1. It's unique. I don't really see anyone else with their hair like this. Sure beats a ponytail!

2. It looks good. Funky and cute but not silly.

3. It's simple. All I need is a single chopstick, no silly bobby pins or such. And it's quick.

4. Sometimes you just need to have your hair up and off your neck. The chopstick lets you do that without having a severe ballerina bun.

5. I love how I keep finding new ways to tuck my hair into it no matter how long it gets.

6. I love feeling the weight of my hair at the back of my head. You can't really feel the weight of your hair when it's down, because it's so evenly distributed. But when it's all up and twisted into a small space, you can really feel its weight. It feels neat.

7. I feel SO cool when I pull the chopstick out of my hair and it all tumbles down. Like I belong in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Or in a shampoo commercial.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Diedre, I am wearing chopsticks today too! WEIRDED OUT!!!
p.s. I still have the chopstick rests you gave me :)

Unknown said...

I had to laugh and smile at point #7. It made me happy... I shared with Mark and he smiled and laughed too. I can totally appreciate this hair action -- it stick doesn't tend to work for me, due to hair thickness, however, I wish it did... mostly for all the reasons you said :D See you in two weeks!!!!!!!!! EEEEK!!!

Elliot said...

Kung-fu villain: "And now the temple's gold will be mine!"

Diedre: "Not so fast!"

Kung-fu villain: "HA! What can a slight girl such as yourself do to stop me? You don't even have a weapon!"

Diedre: [Whips chopstick out of her hair and stabs him in the eye]

Kung-fu Villain: "AIIIEEEEGHGRURGLE..."

Voice-over: CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN CHOPSTICK. COMING SOON TO A THEATRE NEAR YOU.

Karl said...

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chopstick would be a great name for a movie about Diedre. (Diedre and Tobin for that matter since Tob likes tigers so much). I dont think there would be much eye-stabbing in that movie though...

You're making me want to try out long hair, but I know it will just turn out to be a white-man 'fro again so I resist.

I typed up your announcement of membership at Peace Mennonite in the bulletin this week! That was neat.