Wednesday, November 29, 2006

success!

Here's a window into what my job is like. The biggest success of my week occurred today. One of my girls actually called in to say she was going to be absent! I mean, sure she's still got a lame excuse to be absent, but the point I'd like to emphasize is that she bothered to call and tell us ahead of time.

This girl was developing a nasty habit of just going AWOL, and basically has no skills in the area of following through on anything. The last straw for me was when I talked to her less than 24 hours ahead of time to confirm that she was indeed going to meet me at a certain time and place. She sounded positive and "of course!" about it, and then she failed to show up at our meeting or call to excuse herself. Needless to say, when I finally did meet her a week later, I really drilled the point home that she had to call if she was going to be absent.

And now, success! She called! I'm on cloud 9! Maybe one of these days we'll start working on getting her in to work more often, but for now I'm glad for this tiny glimmer of responsibility.

No comments: