Friday, June 09, 2006

interview mania

The week of The Job Interview is over! First job interview: secretary/office job. It went well, the people were friendly. There is competition for the job and my weakness would be lack of extensive experience (although I'm certainly experienced enough to do the job). We'll see how strong the competition is when (if?) I get a call back.

Second interview: program director sort of thing at an urban after-school program ministry place. This interview was slightly more confusing. I had applied for job A, something more youth leadership oriented. Hiring man e-mails and asks if I'd apply for job B, something with a bit more responsibility but more child-oriented. I like teens better than children, at least in terms of a job like this. After having an informal interview (not an official interview but more of a chat with the hiring man about the two jobs), I discover that there is solid competition for job A, but basically no competition for job B. Hiring man wants all his positions filled and therefore is pushing for putting me in job B. I'm pretty sure I'd rather have job A, but it sounds like they have someone in mind already, so chances are I won't be getting it anyway (I think?).

Third interview: shift supervisor at coffee shop. This interview was a friendly shoo-in. Perhaps because I knew this going in, I also felt this was my most successful interview. No "ummm..." moments, but clear flow of thoughts and words and interview brilliance. Why could I not have done this for Job A at intervew 2? Oh well.

No comments: